Guwahati: Three cops of the Assam police were arrested by on Friday for allegedly looting Rs 20 lakh from a Mizoram-based woman who had visited the state for business purposes.
Following a complaint filed by the victim at the Dispur police station, Assam police initiated an investigation into the incident, and nabbed all the three men in uniform. They have been identified as sub-inspectors (SI) Jon Pathari and Pranjal Bora, and home guard Bipul Hazarika — all from the Dispur police station.
As per sources, the woman, accompanied by a “driver” Prakash Sonar, had arrived in the city with the cash on Friday.
Suspecting an ulterior motive, Sonar initially contacted home guard Bipul Hazarika who then informed the matter to his senior colleagues SI Pathari and SI Bora. The trio then hatched the plan to dupe the woman posing as officials from the crime branch. They confronted the woman while she was waiting in front of The Vivanta by Taj hotel near Khanapara in Guwahati.
Incidentally, during initial interrogation, the police have found that the woman was involved in an inter-state fake Indian currency note racket and was circulating them in Assam. The police have also seized the Toyota Innova vehicle in which the woman was travelling.
Meanwhile, the arrested cops have been sent to judicial custody and further probe is on.
- Naga Students’ Federation condemn Athuan Abonmai’s murder
- Nagaland gets first child-friendly court at Wokha
- What’s all the hype around Garena Free Fire Max about?
- Yemeni officials: Clashes over key city kill 130 fighters
- Top Assam Maoist Tingraj Orang surrenders
- Centre extends nationwide COVID-19 containment measures till Oct 31