Guwahati: Ace athlete Hima Das bagged five gold medals in less than a month, bringing laurel to her country and native state Assam. Social media platforms were flooded with congratulatory messages for the sprinter, but one of them caught the eyes of Twitterati, and for good reason.
A couple of days after the star sprinter bagged her fifth gold medal in 400 m at the Nove Mesto nad Metuji Grand Prix in the Czech Republic on July 20, Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan posted a congratulatory message with a graphic that compared her to India’s ambitious moon mission.
Along with the graphic, Bachchan tweeted: “Hima Das .. the pride of India .. to the Moon and beyond .. indeed but we need to add another Moon for she has done 5 now .. AMAZING !!”
However, in doing so, Bachchan, it seems, ended up using a touched-up version of a graphic that was posted by Assam Police earlier on July 20.
Twitterati pointed it out the uncanny resemblance between the two posts. A user, Progressive Assam, wrote, “Interesting to see that @srbachchan ‘borrowed’ the @assampolice creative congratulating @HimaDas8 and used it for his own congratulatory message for her. Don’t you think he should have given credit where it belonged? #JustAsking”
Cyber citizens cashed in on the opportunity to take a dig at Bachchan’s social media team. Asking him to give attribution to Assam Police, few users posted memes using his iconic one-liners from his superhit movies, while others speculated the fate of his social media team. Here are a few:
- Mizoram consumer affairs minister tests positive for COVID-19
- Protests over landfill site in West Jaintia Hills prompts govt action
- Online portal in employment exchanges among 4 govt initiatives launched by Assam CM
- Facebook puts Instagram for kids on hold after pushback
- Guwahati pedals for change with Mountain Bike race
- Bharat bandh fails to evoke much response in Tripura