Guwahati: Bollywood megastar and ‘Star of the Millennium’ Amitabh Bachchan extended his support to the flood-affected people of Assam by donating Rs 51 lakh to the Chief Minister’s Relief Fund on Wednesday.
In a press statement released by the CM’s office, Assam CM Sarbanada Sonowal expressed his gratitude and thanked the actor on behalf of the people of the state for his noble and kind gesture in providing financial assistance to victims.
Meanwhile, help has started pouring in from different quarters for the flood victims of Assam, starting from popular Bollywood actors Akshay Kumar, Shraddha Kapoor and Dia Mirza to homegrown artistes such as Jatin Bora who have donated generous amounts to the Chief Minister’s Relief Fund (CMRF).
Akshay Kumar donated Rs 1 crore each to the CMRF and Kaziranga National Park rescue on July 17.
Assam has witnessed one of its worst floods this year with over 2,523 villages in 68 revenue circles in 19 districts being adversely affected and still submerged under waters in the second wave of floods. Up to 44.96 lakh people have been affected by the floods this time around.
Currently, 659 relief camps are operational with 1,03,934 inmates and 153 relief distribution centres functioning in the state. At least 65 lives have been lost so far.
- AFI partners with IOS Sports to raise bar of Indian Athletics
- Is brushing your teeth for two minutes enough? Here’s what the evidence says
- Khel Ratna: Neeraj Chopra, Ravi Dahiya, Lovlina Borgohain among 11 recommended
- 4 key issues to watch as world leaders prepare for Glasgow climate summit
- NATO’s Afghan mission hit by ‘mission creep’?
- 7 Bengal institutes in Centre’s knowledge exchange programme