Aizawl: Mizoram chief minster Zoramthanga incinerated drugs worth Rs 25.02 lakh seized by the Supply Reduction Service (SRS) of the Central Young Mizo Association (CYMA) in the state on Saturday.
Speaking at the event held at the CYMA office, the chief minister expressed that the fight against drugs is not easy but it must be carried on with utmost effort for the sake of the future of the state. He further stressed on the fact the authorities concerned should cooperate with various NGOs along the Indo-Myanmar border as it has become the primary route for drug smugglers.
Praising the SRS team, home minister Pu Lalchamliana expressed that hard work and efficient cooperation of the team with state’s excise and narcotics department has led to the seizure and destruction of drugs worth Rs 25 lakh in just three months.
In an official report, CYMA president Vanlalruata said that 852 persons were arrested in connection with drugs in the past months and at least 610 of them are undergoing counseling therapy.
SRS team is a volunteer group under the CYMA who launched a massive effort to check drug peddling in Mizoram. They tirelessly work alongside the state police and excise narcotics department in the fight against this social evil.
Earlier in period between April 3 and July 20 this year, the SRS helped seize drugs worth Rs 82 lakh, including heroin, alprazolam, ganja and cough syrup in Mizoram. Even after handing over the seized drugs to the state police and excise and narcotics department, the SRS team was still left with drugs worth Rs 25 lakh that was incinerated by the chief minister on Saturday.
- 5 names recommended by Collegium to be cleared soon: Centre to SC
- Quad agrees to leverage machine learning to enhance cyber security
- Chinese spy balloon spotted over US airspace
- Meghalaya 2023: Busiest day in Garo Hills on day 4 of nominations
- No proposal to use remote voting machine in “upcoming election” in country: Rijiju in LS
- Tripura 2023: LF-Cong alliance has no mission or vision, says Bengal LoP