Guwahati: A team of Assam Police and Assam Rifles apprehended two hardcore militants of the National Socialist Council of Nagaland (Khaplang) from Assam’s Cachar district on Friday.
The arrested rebels have been identified as Kabigai Rongmai, a former finance secretary of NSCN-K, and Raiphulung, chairman of NSCN(K) — Zeliangrong region, a tri-junction of Assam, Manipur and Nagaland.
As per sources, based on specific inputs, security forces first nabbed Rongmai from the Jirighat-Namdailong road in Cachar district. Following inputs received from the arrested rebel during preliminary interrogation, a joint team of Assam police and 37 Assam Rifles launched a night-long search operation at the Namdailong, Alubazar and Shantipur areas of the district and successfully nabbed Raiphulung.
The search operation was led by by Lt Col Jyoti Lama and Major Ganesh Mehra of 37 Assam Rifles with assistance from the officer-in-charge of Jirighat police station and his team.
A huge cache of arms and ammunition including one M16 rifle, one magazine and 18 rounds of live bullets were seized from the arrested NSCN (K) rebels.
- World Cup: what body type works best for football? A professor of biomechanics explains
- Use technology to make education accessible to children with disabilities: Prez Murmu
- SS Rajamouli bags best director award at New York Film Critics Circle for ‘RRR’
- AIUDF chief Badruddin Ajmal faces backlash over ‘Hindu marriage’ remark
- Using abusive words against PM Modi new normal for Congress: BJP
- FIFA World Cup 2022: Round of 16 full schedule and fixtures