Guwahati: After sprint queen Hima Das’ gold rush, another sportswoman from Assam is shining globally. Kokrajhar native Tunlai Narzary has made the region proud by bagging a gold in shot put at the 22nd Tatyana Kolpakova Memorial International Athletics Meet held in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan recently.
Hailing from Ghilaguri Dotma village in western Assam’s Kokrajhar district, Narzary recorded 13.83 m in women’s shot put at the international event.
Narzary, who is currently working wit the 10th Battalion of Assam Police, started her career in sports as a 100-m sprinter and joined the Sports Authority of India’s (SAI)‘s Kokrajhar centre in 2008.
Narzary was named in the Indian contingent for the second South Asian Junior Athletics Championship that was held in Ranchi, Jharkhand from November 10 to 13, 2013.
Also Read: Assam sprinter Hima Das’ gold rush on, bags 4th in 15 days
The same year, the shot-putter bagged a gold medal with a throw of 12.09 m in the National Inter-Zonal Athletics Championship held in Kerala from September 22 to 24, 2013. She also stood first in the East Zone Athletics Championship in Ranchi in with a distance of 11.98 m the same year.
More recently, Narzary won a gold medal in shot put at the 1st North East Olympic Games held in Manipur last year.
- Pro-Khalistani protesters attack Indian Consulate in San Francisco
- I cannot be intimidated by police, cases: Rahul Gandhi
- Indo-Bangla border along Dhubri ‘hot zone of crime’: Assam CM
- AI route to stem jumbo deaths: NFR, RailTel ink MoU for IDS
- Nagaland: Southern Angami Body lifts movement ban on Mao Nagas
- Assam: IGNCA observes 36th Foundation Day