Itanagar: Two people have been arrested in connection with the assault on a driver of a public vehicle in Assam’s Dhemaji district on Monday.
The development came after a suo motu case was registered by the Dhemaji police on Tuesday. “We insisted the driver to file a complaint against the perpetrators but he didn’t file any. So, following a few Facebook posts, we registered a case against the miscreants,” Dhemaji SP Rakesh Reddy told EastMojo earlier on Tuesday.
“The two main accused seen in the video have been taken into custody,” he added.
On Monday, a driver of a Tata Winger, bearing registration no AR-02-A-7277, was manhandled by some miscreants on NH-15 near Telijaan in Dhemaji. The vehicle was reportedly carrying passengers from neighbouring Arunachal Pradesh.
The vehicle reportedly was honking continuously when the miscreants on a bike went on to speak with the driver, argued with him (driver) and then started manhandling him. “One of the glasses in the back seat of the vehicle was also broken by the miscreants where some female passengers were sitting,” the SP told EastMojo over phone on Tuesday.
On questioning about the reason behind the attack, Reddy said that the miscreants just took advantage of the situation, else honking on a national highway cannot be a concrete reason to manhandle a person.
Meanwhile, the police have appealed everyone to maintain peace and harmony and not to give it any regional or communal colour. “We appeal all that it was a case of road rage, please don’t generalise it as a regional or communal issue. Please maintain peace and harmony,” said a Dhemaji police official.
- Meghalaya HC grants bail to BJP leader accused of running sex racket
- Uncombable hair syndrome: new study finds the genes responsible
- Nagaland ad-hoc teachers continue fast unto death; health deteriorates
- ‘Vikram Vedha’ piles on to long list of unnecessary Bollywood remakes of South Indian films
- What’s ‘deliberative’ democracy? Research in Nepal shows it could spur global youth voting
- When governments use AI to predict what the people want