The deceased has been identified as Tapan Deka of Milan Nagar area in Baksa dsitrict of Assam

Guwahati: A farmer died of electrocution after coming in contact with a high-voltage electric wire passing through a paddy field at Goreswar area of Assam’s Baksa district on Monday.

The deceased has been identified as Tapan Deka, who hailed from Milan Nagar area of Goreswar in Baksa district of Assam.

As per reports, Deka, who was busy at his paddy field, was electrocuted after he came in contact with a supporting cable of a high-voltage electric post.

Speaking about the incident, a local informed this correspondent that Deka along with his family members were busy in cleaning work at the paddy field around 11.30 am, when he suddenly came in contact with the high-voltage electric wire.

“He died on spot as he unconsciously touched the wire,” the local added.

Also Read: Assam woman dies of snake bite, body ‘set free’ on river

Significantly, alleging negligence of the authorities in Assam State Electricity Board (ASEB) in maintaining the electrical posts passing through paddy fields, locals of the area alleged that the department concerned erects electrical posts without any caution to future damage.

Non-insulated supporting cable attached to high-voltage electrical pillar

Meanwhile, locals of the village have demanded the state government and the ASEB to provide compensation of Rs 10 lakh and a government job to the next kin of the deceased.

Deka is survived by his wife, a boy and a girl child. His younger boy child is just three years old.

Leave a comment

Leave a comment