Darjeeling: At least two persons lost their lives and several others grievously injured after heavy rainfall triggered massive landslides in the Darjeeling and Kalimpong districts of West Bengal.
The deceased, identified as Dhan Bahadur Lopchan and his wife Bal Kumari Lopchan of of Pubung Fatak, died after their house got buried under the massive landslide at Pubung Fatak in Chataidhura area under Sukhia Pokhari block of Darjeeling district around 2 am on Monday. They were rescued from under the debris by the locals and rushed to the Darjeeling district hospital but were declared brought dead on arrival.
As per reports, massive landslides have occurred in several parts of Darjeeling and Kalimpong districts after the areas received incessant rains of over 150 mm rain in the past 36 hours.
Landslides were reported from places like Poobong under Sukha Pokhari block in Darjeeling, and 10th Mile in Kalimpong district, where several houses got buried.
Several houses got flooded near the 10th mile area of Kalimpong district. Shocking visuals that have surfaced on social media showed people panicking and running for cover after rainwater came gushing out from the shops to the nearby streets.
Meanwhile, the Meteorological department has predicted more rainfall in both the districts in the coming days.
- Protests over landfill site in West Jaintia Hills prompts govt action
- Online portal in employment exchanges among 4 govt initiatives launched by Assam CM
- Facebook puts Instagram for kids on hold after pushback
- Guwahati pedals for change with Mountain Bike race
- Bharat bandh fails to evoke much response in Tripura
- Meghalaya entrepreneur receives special gift from CM Sangma