Aizawl: The Mizoram government will launch technical investigation into the collapse of three buildings, which killed three people, an official release said.
Chief minister Zoramthanga convened a high-level meeting with officials of disaster management and rehabilitation department, and geology and mineral resources department on Wednesday.
The meeting agreed to constitute an inquiry commission to conduct technical investigation and to find out any technical negligence in connection with the buildings collapse, the release said. The meeting also discussed about rehabilitation of the victim families and security situation at the housing complex.
At least three people, including two children, were killed and 11 others injured when three buildings collapsed due to massive landslide in northern part of Aizawl on Tuesday evening.
The incident occurred around 6 pm when massive landslide, triggered by heavy downpour, hit five building blocks at Durtlang Leitan area, according to police. The buildings were part of a housing complex for the poor under the Centre’s sponsored scheme of ‘Basic Services to the Urban Poor’.
Those killed in the tragic incident were identified as Lalpeksanga, 8, Lalnunfeli, 12, and Sainghinglovi, 52, the police said.
They said that while the bodies of Lalnunfeli and Sainghinglovi were recovered during the rescue operation on Tuesday night, Lalpeksanga was pulled out from the debris on Wednesday morning.
Over 140 people have been evacuated to Durtlang YMA hall and nearby camping centres, while some have sheltered in relative houses. The 11 injured were rushed to Synod Hospital at Durtlang; eight of them were discharged after being administered first aid.
Rescue operation conducted by state disaster response force supported by state police, Assam Rifles and local volunteers was called off on Wednesday morning as nobody is known to be missing but clearing of the debris is in progress, official said.
An eye witness JC Vanlalruati told EastMojo that the incident occurred abruptly without any sign of warning. She said that she had just finished her evening bath when a massive landslide triggered by heavy downpour hit the building blocks.
Vanlalruati, who live in block 1 of the housing complex, said many were saved as they were away from their rooms at the time of the incident. She alleged that the buildings were vulnerable as they have been situated upon non-solid rocks and that soil and rocks around the building were heavily cracked since long.
She said that more than 18 families were living in the building blocks.
Meanwhile, the state government announced Rs 4 lakh ex gratia to the deceased and Rs 2 lakh to the injured people depending on the seriousness of their condition.
CM Zoramthanga paid a visit to the site and inspected the collapsed buildings on Wednesday morning. He also paid a visit to the injured people at Synod Hospital. While expressing regret for the incident, Zoramthanga said that the government would make an effort to extend help to the victim families.
He also thanked rescue operators for their selfless services.
The BSUP housing complex was constructed in 2009 by National Project Construction Corporation Ltd. (NPCC) and Royal Infra Construction Ltd with an estimate cost of Rs 26.23 crore. It houses 20 buildings and one community hall.
The housing complex was inaugurated by President Ram Nath Kovind in November 2017 along with other housing complex at Lawipu, Edenthar and Rangvamual in Aizawl.
The building block was occupied from June last year.
- Assam NCC cadet clears SSB, to join IAF as flying officer
- Are you wearing the right mask to prevent contracting Covid-19?
- Manipur tribal leader’s murder: Video shows abduction in police presence; 14 cops suspended
- Arunachal: Single-day recoveries outnumber fresh COVID-19 cases
- BTS and Coldplay release highly-anticipated track ‘My Universe’
- Tripura: Two BSF jawans killed, one injured following scuffle