Kohima: According to a notification issued by the Union ministry of home affairs (MHA), Nagaland has been declared as a “disturbed area” for six more months with effect from June 30.
The order signed by Satyendra Garg, joint secretary (NE), MHA, said, “The whole state of Nagaland is in such a disturbed and dangerous condition that the use of the armed forces in aid of the civil powers is necessary.”
The notification further said: “Therefore, in exercise of the powers conferred by Section 3 of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 (No. 28 of 1958), the central government hereby declares that whole of the said State to be a ‘disturbed area’ for a period of six months with effect from 30th June 2019 for the purpose of that Act.”
Nagaland was last declared a “disturbed area” on December 30 last year. The state has been under AFSPA for decades now.
AFSPA is an act of Indian Parliament which grants special powers to the Indian Armed Forces the power to maintain public order in “disturbed areas”.
However, various civil societies had publicly been denouncing the Act. EastMojo had earlier reported on how three innocent civilians were taken at gunpoint over mistaken identity following condemnations by civil societies.
- Assam: Mahura Weaves opens showroom at Guwahati’s Roodraksh Mall
- Cong ignored spirit of anti-BJP alliance in state polls: Ex-Tripura CM
- Nagaland’s Keneilelie Sorünuo wins Silver in National Bodybuilding C’ship
- Digitised records from wildlife centres show how humans harm wild animals
- Mizoram: ZPM promises zero tolerance against corruption
- Assam’s Rabha Hasong council bolsters tourism with new projects