Aizawl: The Mizoram government will relocate over 1,000 traders and vendors from the Aizawl main market due to the proposed construction of a new market building, an official said.
An eviction order was served to the traders, yet again for the third time on Friday last week to evacuate the building within one month from the date of order, he said.
The first eviction order was served to the traders in 2015.
In a follow-up action to construct a new building at Aizawl’s new market and relocate 1,073 traders at some makeshift locations, state commerce minister Dr R Lalthangliana along with tourism minister Robert Romawia Royte inspected the proposed site on Saturday morning.
They were accompanied by chief secretary Lalnunmawia Chuaungo and other top officials.
In a meeting with over 50 representatives of various trade associations, Lalthangliana, while addressing the grievances of the traders, promised that their main concern of not being allocated seats in the proposed new building would be addressed in the next official meeting.
While citing that the government is giving concern to the safety of traders and public alike, he said it was a very hard decision on government’s part to interrupt the livelihoods of almost 2,500 families.
He said that it was mandatory for the government to dismantle the fragile building to avoid a major disaster.
However, he assured that no trader would be left out and everyone who has a business in the building would be properly relocated at convenient places in collaboration with the Aizawl Municipal Corporation (AMC).
Also Read: Dr ZR Thiamsanga: The Mizoram MLA with a healing touch
Royte also expressed his satisfaction at the prompt response and eagerness of the commerce minister, who have made it a point to take up the matters in an urgent manner right after the Cabinet meeting.
He made an appeal to the government that the plights of all the displaced traders from the old market buildings be appropriately considered at the earliest possible.
Pertaining to the project, Royte who hails from this area has also emphasized the equal importance of early dismantling of the old building as well as early commencement of the new building.
Aizawl’s main market building was constructed in 1987, which was declared unsafe by the erstwhile Congress government in 2015.
Today, it is standing precariously in a dilapidated condition. This structure is now becoming a severe problem that gives a sleepless night not only to the officials who would be held accountable should a major disaster happens but also a constant cause of the same for traders who are afraid of losing their livelihoods.
Even after eviction order in 2015, the building in heavily occupied by over 1,000 traders.
According to experts, the strength of pillars, beams and the structure are now so weak that the heavy load of the slab, the commodities, and the people traversing on it are enough for the building to collapse.
- Assam: Submission date under Mission Basundhara 2.0 extended
- Meghalaya: CRPF celebrates ‘Raising Day’ in Tura
- Itanagar police seized heroin worth Rs 90 lakh, arrest 21 peddlers in March
- Palm Sunday 2023: Wishes and greetings for your loved ones
- Tripura to host G20 conclave on clean energy from Monday
- Arunachal: Army personnel dies in landslide, body recovered after 4 days