Guwahati: A man and his mother were brutally thrashed to death by an irate mob at Shewpur Tea Estate in upper Assam’s Tinsukia district on Friday. Incidentally, the entire episode happened in front of a police official who allegedly chose to remain a mute spectator, eyewitnesses said.
The duo, Ajay Tanti and his mother, Jamuna Tanti, were suspected of killing Ajay’s wife, Radha Tanti Garh, and their two-month-old baby.
While Jamuna Tanti died on spot, a severely injured Ajay was shifted to the Tinsukia civil hospital where he was declared dead on Saturday morning.
As per sources, family members of the 23-year-old Radha filed a complaint at the local police station after she and her two-month-old girl baby allegedly went missing on June 5. Their bodies were later recovered from a septic tank on Friday after locals searched their house.
In a video that has gone viral on social media, angry villagers are seen beating the mother-and-son duo black and blue with bamboo stabs, apart from punching and kicking them. Moreover, a group of women are also seen attacking the woman with sticks in front of a police officer who was on the spot at the time.
The mob-lynching incident has raised many questions over security in the state after a policeman on duty was spotted in video.
Meanwhile, the police have informed that all those involved in the lynching case will not be spared and will be arrested soon.
Earlier, in a similar mob-lynching incident in the state, two youths from Guwahati, Nilotpal Das and Abijeet Nath, were pulled out of their vehicle and beaten to death by a group of villagers at Panjuri in Assam’s Karbi Anglong district on June 8 last year.
- Youth are growth engine of India: Union minister Anurag Thakur
- Protests in China are not rare, but the current unrest is significant
- Ready for war with India if attacked: Pak’s new Army chief Munir
- Mon massacre: Nagas from Nagaland, Manipur observe black day
- Centre to convene all-party meet to finalise strategies for 2023 G-20 summit
- Mirabai, Indian lifters begin quest for Olympic qualification with World Championships