Aizawl will soon become a plastic-free city

Aizawl: In a major thrust towards making itself a smart city, Mizoram’s capital Aizawl will soon become plastic-free, officials of the Aizawl Municipal Corporation (AMC) said on Thursday.

AMC mayor PC Lalhmingthanga said that framing of bye-law which will ban single-use polythene bags and other plastic products of below 50 micron has been already completed and is awaiting approval from the state government.

They bye-law will come into effect from August 1 and will be enforced in stricter manner from October 2 on Gandhi Jayanti, he said. However, any plastic products allowed by Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016 and which are recyclable will not be banned, he added.

According to Lalhmingthanga, the corporation has constituted a committee on plastic-free city headed by councillor Lalhmingmawia to monitor ban on plastic products of below 50 microns. He said that the AMC has been making massive effort to ban single-use plastic since 2016.

During 2016-2017, the corporation studied the status and environmental damage of plastics and had asked all churches to use steel plates instead of thermoplastic plates during festive season like Christmas and New Year.

Lalhmingthanga said that the order was highly honoured by the churches.

The corporation had also organised “non-plastic exhibition” in September 2018 to sensitise people about environmental damage caused by plastics.

Also Read: Mizoram court sends 2 men to jail in separate cases

Lalhmingthanga said that the AMC has signed agreement with JB Enviro Consultant Private Limited for plastic waste management. He said that mass cleanliness programmes will be organised in all localities, government offices and institutions on Friday.

Aizawl is the largest city and commercial hub of the state with a population of more than 2.93 lakh. It has figured on the list of 100 smart cities in the country. At present, there are 67,594 household families in the city and the total volume of waste disposing in a day is estimated to be around 159.8 metric ton.

The AMC collects and disposes of garbage on public private partnership mode and bears 80% of the expenditure and the rest 20% by the people.

Leave a comment

Leave a comment