Nazira: Frenzied mobs in a village of Nazira in Sivasagar district of Assam brutally killed a leopard and tried to hide the carcass by burying it in the ground on Wednesday.
The leopard that was creating terror in the Mothiasiga Konwar village of Nazira locality for a long time attacked three villagers and a cow on Wednesday. As per reports, the big cat, straying in the village from a nearby tea garden killed a cow in the locality early in the morning. Failing to feed properly, the leopard returned to score its hunt and ended attacking three locals who were burying the dead cow.
In revenge, hundreds of angry villagers chased the big cat and hacked it to death. The locals then buried the carcass of the animal in a nearby ground till it was discovered by the forest officials.
Explaining the incident, a victim of the attack informed that the leopard strayed into the locality early in the morning and attacked a cow grazing in the field. “We were burying the dead cow and the leopard came out of its hiding place and attacked three of us present at the spot, he informed.
The three injured men were immediately rushed to a nearby civil hospital for treatments. Locals of the village, meanwhile, alleged that apathy of the forest officials had led to such an incident. “We have apprised the forest officials many times earlier, but they were giving a deaf ear to our concerns and which has led to this incident,” a village local alleged.
At a time when the entire nation is celebrating nature on the occasion of ‘World Environment Day’, it is tragic to receive such news of animals being killed by humans in Assam.
- Assam Speaker in Arunachal to learn about National e-Vidhan (NeVA) project
- Mangalyan: ISRO spacecraft made for 6 months completes 7 years in orbit
- NEET syllabus: Don’t treat doctors as football in power game, warns SC
- Nagaland: Hand over derelict shopping complex to entrepreneurs, says RPP
- A megacomet is headed towards our solar system. Should we be worried?
- Two girls gang raped inside cyber cafe in UP