Guwahati: A leopard that strayed into a village in Bhesali Pathar area of Sapekhati in Assam’s Sivasagar district was brutally killed to death by a frenzied mob after it allegedly attacked a village elder on Friday.
The injured man has been identified as 52-year-old Lileshwar Changmai. He sustained severe injuries on his arms and legs.
As per reports, the leopard that was hiding in Changmai’s house premises ended up attacking him while trying to escape when his son, Luhit Changmai, spotted the animal and shouted out for help.
Speaking over the incident, Luhit said that the he along with other villagers had to kill the animal while rescuing his father from the jaws of the big cat. “We had spotted the leopard several times earlier. It killed many cattle in our locality,” he added.
Meanwhile, the injured person was immediately rushed to the nearby Assam Medical College and Hospital in Dibrugarh district for emergency aid and is currently undergoing treatment there.
Shockingly, the irate villagers who were living in a fear psychosis following the big cat terror, hung the carcass of the animal with its tail and hind legs chopped to the roof of a house after brutally killing it.
Local forest officials later took the carcass away to the nearby forest office at Borhat in Sivasagar district.
- Nagaland celebrates 61st Nagaland Statehood Day; PM, President extend greetings
- What can we do to protect children from sexual abuse?
- Major breakthrough in Darjeeling’s Sivok–Rangpo rail tunnel
- Meghalaya: NPP’s Ampareen Lyngdoh pledges ILP implementation
- Meghalaya: St Anthony’s College to introduce uniforms next year
- IIT Guwahati launches drone tech training programme for armed forces