Guwahati: Being a victim to physical and mental harassment for many years, a woman in Assam’s Lakhimpur district ended up killing her husband and landed at the local police station with his severed head on Wednesday.
The accused identified as Guneswari Barkataky, 48, hailing from Mazgaon village of Dhalpur, arrived at the police outpost carrying her husband Mudhiram’s severed head in a plastic bag.
Confessing to her crime, Guneswari informed the police that bearing continuous mental and physical torture from her husband for many years she decided to resort to the heinous act. “He had been beating me for many years. On several occasions, he even injured me with an axe,” she said.
She further revealed that she decided to end her marital life with Mudhiram long ago but was unable to do so thinking about their children. “I fear he could have killed me if I didn’t,” she added.
The mother of five — two sons and three daughters — allegedly attacked her husband with a machete and walked nearly 5 km to the nearest police station carrying his severed head in a plastic bag.
The police are carrying out investigations over the matter and the accused has been sent to judicial custody by a local court.
- Lakhs of crores of rupees donated to PM-CARES, where is that money, asks Mamata
- Assam: More DNLA cadre come overground after signing accord
- Assam CM to move Gauhati HC for judicial inquiry into Sipajhar violence
- Home-grown artisans showcase creativity at 2nd Nagaland handmade jewellery exhibition
- China declares all cryptocurrency transactions illegal
- RN Ravi paved his own exit: NSCN-IM reminds new interlocutor