Aizawl: Mizo National Front (MNF) candidate Zothantluanga, who successfully contested the Aizawl West-I assembly seat in the assembly by-polls held recently was sworn in as a new member of the state assembly on Tuesday.
Assembly speaker Lalrinliana Sailo administered oath of affirmation to Zothantluanga at a function held at the former’s office chamber in Aizawl on Tuesday afternoon. The swearing-in ceremony was attended by chief minister Zoramthanga, his cabinet colleagues and MLAs, among others.
The MNF candidate had defeated Lalbuanga Sailo, a joint candidate of opposition Zoram People’s Movement (ZPM)-Congress combine by a margin of 7,167 votes in the assembly by-polls held simultaneously with Lok Sabha polls on April 11.
With Zothantluanga’s victory the ruling MNF tally rose from 26 to 27 in the 40-member Mizoram legislative assembly. In the remaining assembly seats, ZPM has seven, congress has five seats while the Bharatiya Janta Party has one seat.
- Delhi HC sends to SC plea seeking uniform min marriage age for men, women
- Coffee doesn’t give you extra energy. Here’s what happens instead
- Expecting slowdown in Indian economy to 6.1 pc in 2023: IMF
- India condemns terror attack in Pakistan’s Peshawar city
- Scientists working to increase shelf life of millets-based products
- What to do if your kid is biting, hitting and kicking?