Agartala: A BSF assistant sub-inspector allegedly committed suicide by shooting himself with his service rifle at Gandacherra in Tripura’s Dhalai district, about 110 km from state capital Agartala.
The 50-year-old official was found dead inside a bus used for election duty at Pancharatan under Gandacherra sub-division.
Speaking to reporters, Dhalai SP Sudipta Das said, “An incident took place at Pancharatan under Gandacherra sub-division in which one BSF ASI of 86 Bn, namely Ashwini Kumar, 50 years old, committed suicide with his service rifle in the bus engaged in election work.”
Ashwini Kumar was a resident of Pallanwala in Jammu & Kashmir, he added.
“After the incident, Ashwini was rushed to the Gandcahera sub-divisional hospital where the attending doctor declared him brought dead. Post-mortem will be done and we are investigating the matter,” the SP said.
This is not the first time a BSF personnel has committed suicide. Earlier on April 5, a constable from the 166 Battalion shot himself after firing at and injuring two of his colleagues at Panisagar in North Tripura district.
A number of such incidents have occurred in the state over the past one year where BSF jawans have fired openly at their colleagues and killing themselves in the end.
On March 14 this year, a BSF jawan killed himself with his service rifle in Sepahijala district. On May 7 last year, another BSF jawan shot down three colleagues in Kailasahar of Unakoti district before shooting himself at the outpost.
- Sikkim floods: 10 dead, 82 missing, 14 bridges collapse
- Arunachal CM expresses sadness, shock at Sikkim floods
- Sikkim Police notifies road situation; check details here
- Handkerchief or tissue? Which one’s better for our health and the planet?
- Assam: Half marathon event to be held on Oct 29 in Dibrugarh
- RBI approves merger of North East Small Fin Bank, fintech unicorn Slice