Guwahati: Two Assam Rifles jawans were killed and four others injured when a convoy carrying the security personnel was ambushed by Naga insurgents around 1 pm on Saturday.
The incident happened between Tobu and Ukha village along the Indo-Myanmar border in Nagaland’s Mon district.
The two martyred jawans were identified as Rifleman Kalidas Sharma and Naib Subedar Dina Nath Ram. As per reports, Sharma was a resident of Mansiri Berajan in Assam’s Sonitpur district.
According to sources, the injured were evacuated to the Air Force Hospital in Jorhat, Assam.
According to sources, the shootout lasted for about an hour. However, the number of casualties on the other side could not be ascertained till the time of filing of this report.
District administration officials and police have rushed to the spot.
Also Read: Nagaland: Illegal weapon smuggling network busted, 3 arrested
“Whoever has done this will be taken into the books according to the law. Search operation is going on. We are yet to get details of it,” Nagaland CM Neiphiu Rio told ANI. Later, Rio also took to Twitter to condemn the incident.
Although no insurgent group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack, sources said the NSCN(K) could be behind the incident.
- Active Covid cases in country dip to 4,972
- For Manipur’s fencing hero Jetlee, Olympic is a destination, not a dream
- Nagaland: NSF issues ultimatum to nab culprits involved in Naga club vandalisation
- Mizoram: ZORO holds rally to express solidarity with Manipur tribals hit by violence
- A friendly pitch: How cricket found a home in Mizoram
- Manipur: Over 3,300 candidates appear for UPSC prelims in Imphal