Itanagar: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has refused to investigate the killing of Ojing Taying, citing the case to be a “simple” one in nature.
Taying, a former finance secretary of All East Siang District Students’ Union (AESDSU), and two of his friends were brutally attacked by unidentified persons on June 10, 2017. Taying succumbed to his injuries a few days later at a private hospital in Guwahati, Assam.
A case under Sections 341/326/302/34 of the IPC, was on June 14, 2017, registered at Itanagar police station on the basis of a complaint lodged by Taying’s elder brother. However, as the investigations made no headway, the case was transferred to a special investigation team (SIT) of the state police on June 4 last year.
The police had later announced an award of Rs 1 lakh for the informer leading to the arrest of culprits.
Despite this, the investigation by SIT was not progressing satisfactorily and following agitations and pressure from several organisations, including the All Arunachal Pradesh Students’ Union and AESDSU, the state government had on July 7 last year handed the case over to the CBI.
Interestingly, the CBI had refused to take over the case in December last year. However, the refusal was not made public until Monday.
The CBI in its letter (which is available with this reporter) to the commissioner (home) dated December 26, 2018 stated, “The matter has already been taken up with the CBI HO and the competent authority has expressed inability to take up the case as it is not having any inter-state ramification and there is no valid ground for taking up such a simple case by the CBI.”
Expressing anguish over the rejection, Buteng Tayeng, the state unit general secretary of North East Human Rights Organization (NEHRO), on Monday said that the rejection letter was dispatched from the CBI ACB, Guwahati on December 27, 2018 but the family members and relatives of Taying were kept in dark on the status of the case.
Buteng said that he spoke to family members of Taying on the matter and they had no information whatsoever about the rejection.
“The news of handing over the case to CBI came out from the chief minister’s office prior to the elections. This now compels us to think that the entire drama of transferring the case was just a political stunt made by the government to gain political mileage,” Buteng said.
The case in now back with the state police and its investigating officer (IO) has been changed. The new IO is on election duty, he said.
Condemning the police for their alleged failure in cracking the case, the NEHRO has at the same time demanded that the same be solved within three months of face resistance.