Guwahati: “A big day for Assamese Paat (Silk),” said Assam-based designed Sanjukta Dutta after she made her debut at the 72nd edition of Cannes Film Festival in France on Saturday.
‘Top Model United Kingdom’ winner Ingrda Ilgine stole the show as she walked the ‘red carpet’ in a stunning handcrafted ensemble — a black Assamese silk gown — designed by Dutta.
“A big thanx to the Almighty and everyone… Too elated to describe… [sic],” the Nagaon-born designer took to Facebook to express her feelings after the red carpet appearance.
Dutta did her graduation in civil engineering from Assam Engineering College before working as an assistant engineer in the PWD for 10 years before venturing full-time into fashion designing.
She clubs traditions and prints of different geographies into a unique customised piece of garment, with the Assamese silk ‘mekhela chador’ being the base in most cases.
- Nagaland tourism: In a first, Dimapur, Kohima to get 5-star hotels in 4 years
- Russia-Ukraine war responsible for power tariff hike in Tripura: Minister
- Southeast Asia braces for more droughts and haze
- Why we don’t need to go to space to mine its resources
- Nagaland: 111 recruits receive appointment letters at Rozgar Mela
- ‘Tora’s Husband’: Rima Das’s refreshing, impactful neo-realist drama