Guwahati: In another development over the Guwahati grenade blast case, the Assam police detained a former member of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) from the Merapani area of Golaghat district on Friday.
The accused, identified as Amit Ballav Goswami, was allegedly a bomb expert working for the proscribed militant outfit of the state.
As per reports, Goswami hails from Lakhibari area of Merapani in Golaghat district of Assam and is currently being interrogated by a team of Golaghat police.
Earlier on Thursday, the police arrested a pro-talk ULFA leader, Pranamoy Rajguru, and his accomplice, Jahnabi Saikia, from a rented house in the Bagharbari area of Guwahati in Assam.
Significantly, as per sources in the police, the Paresh Baruah, the commander-in-chief of ULFA (I), has been contacting old cadres of the outfit who are either not involved with the peace talks or not satisfied with the progress. It is also informed that these former members of ULFA are working in different ways like giving shelter to members of the outfit.
However, the authorities concerned have directed the district superintendents of police to keep a close watch on the activities of the former militants of the outfit.
At least 12 people were critically injured in a grenade blast that occurred on Wednesday evening in front of Guwahati Central, a shopping mall on the busy RG Baruah Road in the city.
- Protests over strict COVID policy are sweeping China. What happens now?
- India GDP grows at 6.3 pc in Jul-Sept quarter
- Exporters say key buyer Iran not lifting Indian tea
- The era of megalopolis: how the world’s cities are merging
- More boys with cancer being diagnosed than girls in India: Lancet study
- BJP got Rs 614.53 cr as contributions in 2021-22, Congress Rs 95.46 cr