Guwahati: “I was coming from Ganeshguri when I suddenly heard the sound of a blast. I saw smoke coming out from a nearby place and people were running for safety, said Hirok Jyoti Baruah, 26. The Beltola resident was one of the 12 persons who were injured in the grenade blast that took place near Guwahati Central shopping mall on the busy RG Baruah Road on Wednesday evening.
Immediately after the incident, banned militant outfit ULFA(I) claimed responsibility for the explosion.
Baruah had crossed the spot and about 50-100 metres away when something hit his back. “When I turned back, I saw smoke coming out from the place. People were seen running for safety. Later, I got on to my bike and was about to leave when some people told me that my back is bleeding. Then I realised that something has gone inside my body,” he said.
He was taken to Kuntal Goswami Memorial Trust (KGMT) at Geetanagar area of the city by his friends. He will have have to go through a minor surgery soon.
Dr Ramen Talukdar, superintendent, Guwahati Medical College & Hospital (GMCH), said, “There are five patients admitted at my hospital, out of which two victims are from SSB [Sashastra Seema Bal]. And out of these five patients, one is critically injured. He got operated at an emergency operation theatre. Doctors from orthopedic, ENT and surgery departments did the combined operation on him. Although his vitals have been maintained, he’s not out of danger right now. So he’s been kept in ICU for observation.”
The five injured admitted at GMCH are Bijay Kumar Sah (22), Fardeen Hasmein Rahman (21), Ramesh Lai (40) Sultan Jahidur Rahman (52) and AMuly Ratan Mahato (30). None of the injured have been discharged so far.
A father-daughter duo, Amit Kansal and Riya Kansal, who sustained severe injuries during the attack are admitted at the nearby Nemcare Hospital.
The hospital’s managing director cum CEO, Dr H Baruah, said: “Amit has suffered a left eye and intestinal injury, whereas Riya is injured on her left thigh. Both patients are stable but we have to do complete investigation. After its completion, we will have to decide the line of treatment for them.”
On the unprecedented blast, Ranjit Kumar, the security advisor to the chief minister, said, “The CM is very concerned about the safety and security of the people. He has been conducting law and order meetings on daily basis. The CM has also directed the DGPs and the commissioner of police to take strict security measures and to ensure that people are safe.”
CM Sarbananda Sonowal earlier condemned the attack saying, “Perpetrators shall not be spared.”
Further, the state government has announced free treatment for the injured. Kamrup (Metro) deputy commissioner Biswajit Pegu has announced that the state will provide Rs 50,000 each to those injured in the blast.