Aizawl: A Champhai district court has sentenced a man to 18 years’ rigorous imprisonment for sexually molesting a minor two years ago, an official said on Friday.
Recently, R Vanlalena, a special judge in the district court, convicted the 19-year-old accused from Myanmar and slapped a fine of Rs 5,000 on him, the official said. The accused came to his relatives in Champhai and was arrested in April 2017 for allegedly sexually molesting a seven-year-old girl.
During the course of investigation, a medical report confirmed that the girl had been sexually molested.
After the police produced their investigation report and evidences, the district court heard the case and sentenced the accused to 18 years’ rigorous imprisonment besides imposing Rs 5,000 fine on him.
He is currently incarcerated at Champhai district jail.
- Assam: Heroin worth over Rs 3cr seized in Karbi Anglong, 3 held
- Tripura 2023: EC rejects CPI(M)’s complaint against BJP candidate
- Budget 2023: FM announces new savings scheme for women
- Assam: Priest, two others held for drug peddling in Nagaon
- Two years after Myanmar coup, India’s national security still at risk
- Centre confusing people in the name of CAA: Mamata