Kohima: The Inter Government College Olympic 2019, organised under the banner of Nagaland State Board Education Council, was flagged off at the Kohima College in the state’s capital on Thursday.
An ‘Olympic race’ was organised from Old MLA junction to Kohima College to mark the opening day.
Dr Neikiesalie Nicky Kire, advisor of rural development, along with Dinesh Kumar, commissioner and secretary, HE&TE, were the guests of honour at the event that is going to witness participants from over 13 colleges in the state.
A large number of students, both boys and girls in their college uniforms, were seen running on the streets with much enthusiasm.
While addressing the students, Dr Watijungshi, convener, planning committee, and additional director of higher education, said that the sports event was held to unite students under one platform and to encourage athletes and further identify outstanding sportspersons.
The second day will witness a concert, organised by the higher education department in collaboration with Music Task Force, in which local artistes will be seen performing.
The Olympic event will feature various sporting activities such as 100 m race, 200 m race, high jump and long jump, besides football, volleyball, badminton and table tennis.
The closing ceremony of the three-day sporting event will be held at the Kohima College grounds on May 3.
- Meghalaya: Harijan Colony issue could be solved this year, says deputy CM
- Tripura: National Highway blocked, railway affected during TIPRA bandh
- Puuluup: Two men in midlife crisis who decided to start living rock & roll lifestyle
- Assam poll panel releases voters’ list for panchayat elections
- Nagorno-Karabakh: Crisis in the Caucasus could destabilise the whole of Eurasia
- Meghalaya: Why this 53-year-old returned to ‘study’ after 35 years