Guwahati: Mizoram Synod Choir, a choir group the hilly state of Mizoram in Northeast India, bagged the first spot with a silver certificate in the open category, at the second International Choir Festival (ICF) Wales 2019 held in Cardiff, UK recently.
Competing to be crowned among the world’s elite, the group belonging to the Presbyterian Church of India also came second in the mixed choir category with another silver certificate.
The ICF was inaugurated last year and is the brainchild of one of Wales’ leading choirmasters, Eilir Owen Griffiths, who was the former musical director of the Llangollen International Music Festival.
Mizoram, one of the three Christian dominated states in India, is a cultural hub where variety of music and cultural ideas thrive. The state widely uses English along with Mizo.
The choir group, prior to the main event, performed at a care home in Wrexham, Wales, where many of the elderly audience members were left in awe. They delivered the musical performance in both Mizo and Welsh.
The group hopes to spread the message of peace, friendship and harmony around the world through its music.
- 10 ULB militants arrested in Assam
- Lakhs of crores of rupees donated to PM-CARES, where is that money, asks Mamata
- Assam: More DNLA cadre come overground after signing accord
- Assam CM to move Gauhati HC for judicial inquiry into Sipajhar violence
- Home-grown artisans showcase creativity at 2nd Nagaland handmade jewellery exhibition
- China declares all cryptocurrency transactions illegal