Guwahati: For not getting salary for more than last two years, one more employee of the Nagaon paper mill in Morigaon district of Assam allegedly committed suicide at senior hostel number 27 on Monday.
The deceased, identified as Biswajit Majumder, was a resident of Kolkata and was serving in the distribution department of the paper mill.
The Nagaon paper mill that once sustained the lives of many is now in dire straits. With this latest incident, the number of workers in the paper mill who have committed suicide following the hardships has increased to three.
Also Read: SOS: Assam’s Nagaon Paper Mill is dying, so are its staff, kin
The fate of hundreds of workers and their family members, whose lives were solely depended on the paper mill, are now dying a slow death every passing day.
Their ordeal started on March 13, 2017 when the Hindustan Paper Corporation (HPC) decided to stop production at the Nagaon Paper Mill located in Jagiroad of Assam’s Morigaon district. This was after the state-run enterprise shut down the Cachar Paper Mill, its other unit in the state, on October 20, 2015.
Over the years, 51 workers died prematurely while in service due to tension related to financial difficulties. Some died or lost near and dear ones because they didn’t have the money for medical treatment.
Meanwhile, the body of the deceased has been taken to Jagiroad civil hospital for post-mortem.
- Pro-Khalistani protesters attack Indian Consulate in San Francisco
- I cannot be intimidated by police, cases: Rahul Gandhi
- Indo-Bangla border along Dhubri ‘hot zone of crime’: Assam CM
- AI route to stem jumbo deaths: NFR, RailTel ink MoU for IDS
- Nagaland: Southern Angami Body lifts movement ban on Mao Nagas
- Assam: IGNCA observes 36th Foundation Day