Guwahati: An elephant was mowed down by a train near Lumding station in Assam’s Hojai district on Monday night.
According to reports, a herd of around 10 elephants was crossing the railway tracks when one of them, left behind by the group, was ran over by the Ledo-bound Guwahati-Ledo Intercity Express.
Reacting quickly, forest officials immediately rushed to the spot after getting information, and soon initiated investigation into the incident.
“The elephant was crossing the railway tracks with its herd when the incident occurred. While all the other elephants managed to cross the tracks, one of them was left behind and killed after being hit by the train,” a local resident said.
- No problem with legislators jumping ship ahead of polls: Meghalaya CM
- Tripura: Foundation stone laid for International Buddhist University
- FIFA World Cup 2022: Schedule, fixtures, predictions today, Nov 30
- India’s Maternal Mortality Ratio dips to 97 in 2018-20 from 130 in 2014-16
- India reports 279 new COVID-19 cases
- Tripura 2023: Congress says 30% candidates will be youths