New Delhi: Announcing that the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), if voted to power, will try to lay the foundation for its vision 2047, the year when India will complete 100 years of freedom, the party will also try to accelerate the development of Northeastern states in the next five years.
“Let us work together to lay the foundations of this vision now, and work earnestly towards translating this vision into a golden reality,” the party’s manifesto for the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections, which was released on Monday, said.
The party also reiterated its commitment of passing the contentious Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2016, if voted to power this election.
Releasing the manifesto, Union home minister Rajnath Singh said that the bill will be passed in the next five years.
Releasing its manifesto for the forthcoming Parliamentary election, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that the BJP ensured that the insurgency problem in the Northeastern states is brought under control and the security situation in these states improved significantly. “We will leverage this situation to ensure accelerated development of the Northeastern states,” he said.
On the development of infrastructure and improved connectivity in the region, the BJP manifesto said that the party will continue to focus on the development of infrastructure and improved connectivity in this region to ensure that the Northeastern states duly participate in the economic progress of the country.
“We will continue to take the necessary steps to leverage the tremendous potential of hydroelectric, tourism, horticulture etc in the Northeastern states. We are committed to ensure that the unique linguistic, cultural and social identity of the Northeastern states is adequately protected and take steps to ensure the same. We need to create stepping stones for the next-generation in order to ensure that they can participate more fully in building New India,” the manifesto said.
On creating opportunities for youth in the region, the BJP manifesto further said, “We will create new opportunities of employment by providing more support to the 22 major ‘Champion Sectors’ identified as the main drivers of Indian economy. We will optimally leverage the untapped employment-generation of potential of sectors such as defence and pharmaceuticals to take advantage of the opportunities available in domestic and foreign markets. We will set-up new ‘Entrepreneurial Northeast’ scheme to provide financial support to the micro, small and medium industries and for employment generation in the Northeastern state.”
Key points of BJP manifesto 2019
1. For strengthening the armed forces, purchase of outstanding defence equipment will be fast tracked
2. Zero tolerance towards terrorism. Security forces will continue to get a free hand
3. Will implement NRC (National Register of Citizens) in a phased manner in other parts of the country
4. Technology will be used to prevent infiltration in the north-east; smart fencing will be used
5. Reiterate position since the time of the Jan Sangh, to scrap Article 370 (special status to Jammu and Kashmir); committed to annulling Article 35A or the law which says that no outsider can own property in Jammu and Kashmir
6. Interest-free kisan credit card loans, short term agricultural loans up to Rs. 1 lakh to be given at zero per cent interest, for one to five years, on the condition of prompt repayment of principal amount
7. Sankalp Patra aims to fulfill the aspirations of 130 crore Indians
8. Ram temple will be built as soon as BJP is voted to power
9. Pucca houses by 2022, for every family who are living in a kuccha house or have no house
10. Investment of Rs. 100 lakh crore in the infrastructure sector by 2024
Prime Minister Narendra Modi called his party’s manifesto, or “Sankalp Patra”, a document promising good governance, security and prosperity of the country.
BJP chief Amit Shah, in his introductory message, claimed that India is a “maha-shakti” now. During the period between 2004 and 2014, when UPA was in power, India had “slipped in the eyes of the world” but now it is among the top six economies, he said, adding that PM Modi has done justice to every sector of the society, by giving cooking gas connections in rural areas, housing and affordable healthcare for all and welfare schemes for farmers.
While bringing the economy on track, the Prime Minister has shown the world how a scam-free country can be run, said Amit Shah. “PM Modi has struck the source of terrorism and sent a message to the world that no one can play around with the borders of the country,” Shah said.