Agartala: A Border Security Force (BSF) constable from 166 Battalion shot himself after firing at and injuring two of his colleagues at Panisagar in North Tripura district late on Friday night.
Speaking with EastMojo, a BSF official said, “Rifleman B Durga Rao, 38, was over a phone call and all of a sudden started firing openly at his colleagues who were getting ready for their duty in the same room.”
An on-duty official said that a probe has been ordered into the incident.
The two BSF jawans, who sustained injuries, were identified as Rifleman Anil Kumar (29) and Rifleman Dhanraj. While Kumar suffered a bullet injury to his thigh, Dhanraj got injured while trying to escape from the window.
BSF North Tripura superintendent Bhanupada Chakraborty said, “The weapon of the deceased was seized and the body has been sent for the post-mortem. Investigation from the police will be done along with a probe from the BSF over the unfortunate incident at Panisagar 166 BSF Battalion.”
A number of such incidents have occurred in the state over the past one year where BSF jawans have fired openly at their colleagues and killing themselves in the end.
Earlier, on March 14 this year, a BSF Jawan killed himself with his service rifle in Sepahijala district and on May 7 last year, a BSF Jawan shot down three colleagues in Kailasahar of Unakoti District before shooting himself at the outpost.
- Webcasting arrangements in place for Assam by-election: EC official
- Manipur: Dengue outbreak, but no need for panic say health officials
- Katrina Kaif-Vicky Kaushal set to marry? Here’s what Kat will wear
- Northeast Church leaders extend solidarity to Karnataka Christians
- Assam by-polls: Thowra heading for a BJP win, Raijor Dal might finish second
- Covid surge in West Bengal: 24 containment zones created