Itanagar: BJP candidate from Arunachal West constituency and union minister of state (MoS) for home affairs Kiren Rijiju on Sunday said that only the former chief minister Nabam Tuki has the potential to give him a tough fight in the ensuing Lok Sabha elections.
Rijiju is the sitting MP from Arunachal West constituency, where Congress has fielded its veteran leader Nabam Tuki and Janata Dal (Secular) has former Mahila Congress general secretary Jarjum Ete as its contender.
At a press conference in the state BJP office, Rijiju said, “I have the highest regards for Tukiji and consider him as my elder brother. He has served Arunachal in various capacities, as an MLA, minister and chief minister for 25 years and done his job. However, it is now the turn of the next generation. It is now my duty to fulfill what Tuki could not do for the State in all the capacities I possibly can.”
The minister clarified that his fight with Tuki is on a political ground, and nothing personal. Further, he said that the BJP and its allies will win 21-22 seats out of the 25 available in the Northeast.
He said that as per ground reports, the Congress may not even win a single seat.
“The reports that we are getting from ground suggest that Congress may not win even a single seat. There will, however, be seats which the NDA partners will also win. Let the people decide the same,” he said.
The union minister also said that this is the time for BJP and he believes that the people of the region have understood that the region has lost its glory under Congress regime.
“The North East has all the natural resources and potentials which can make it an important economic and commercial hub and that is what we want to turn it into. Our dream is to revive the lost glory of the region,” Rijiju said.
Talking about the Act East Policy, the MP said, “Northeast has had everything but we lacked the support of the Centre under the Congress regime, that is why Prime Minister Modi changed the Look East Policy to Act East Policy and the same is backed by action.”
The Union minister also highlighted several developmental projects and schemes initiated by the BJP government for the state. He said, “The Centre has sanctioned more road projects in the past five years than what was sanctioned in the past five decades. Almost 30% of these road projects have been completed while the works are in full swing or in tender process in the remaining 70%.”
Moreover, he claimed that he has lived up to his 2014 poll promises, and accordingly, 80% villages which earlier had no roads, are now connected with one, under Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana.
Rijiju added that besides seven advance landing grounds (ALGs), two commercial airports have been made operational in the state and the land compensation issue in regards to Hollongi Greenfield airport near Itanagar has also been solved, and PM Modi has already laid the foundation stone for it.
The sitting MP from Arunachal West constituency assured that if he and the BJP are voted back to power, they would finish all pending works in the next five years and also execute several new projects and schemes which they have dreamt of for the state.
Lok Sabha and assembly polls in Arunachal Pradesh will be held simultaneously on April 11. The BJP has already won three assembly seats in the state uncontested.
- Plastic waste hurting women in developing countries but there are ways to stop it
- First theatrical release in 8 months gives life to Assam’s puppetry culture
- Prince Charles warns of narrow window to face climate change
- PM Modi meets Indian COVID vaccine manufacturers; CEOs say his leadership key force in vaccination drive
- MNS chief Raj Thackeray, mother test positive for COVID-19
- China attempting to reduce India’s influence in Mynmar, SEA: CDS General Rawat