Barpeta: A village in Bajali in Assam’s Barpeta district have been literally living in the dark for several years now for want of an electricity connection.
And then comes this shocker: A household that just received a meter box in the name of electrification has been getting a bill of Rs 250 every month.
“There is no electricity in our village. Whenever we’ve asked the authorities concerned, they say electricity will be provided very soon,” said a local resident.
“First, they gave us an electricity meter box. A village boy distributed it. There were some contractors as well. They promised us power connectivity in a week’s time. But now, four months have gone by, but there is no electricity here. The same person came here after a few months and told us that we’ve to pay electricity bills,” added another villager.
Villagers have not been provided any infrastructure for electrification, whether poles or wires, yet they are allegedly being charged for every month. “Tell us, do we even need to pay the bill?” lamented another villager.
- Assam: 5 years on, little hope for this Cachar road lost to erosion
- Meghalaya 2023: BJP fields ex-militant Bernard Marak against CM
- G-20 summit a golden opportunity to highlight Assam’s culture: Sonowal
- Why publishers are banning listing of ChatGPT as academic author
- IIT-Guwahati: Scientists discuss low-cost solutions to curb methane emissions
- Railways to recruit for IRMS through Civil Services Examination