Guwahati: On the last day for filling nominations for the first phase of elections in the state on Monday, 45 contestants filled nominations for five of the 14 Lok Sabha seats in Assam, officials said.
The five constituencies are Tezpur, Kaliabor, Jorhat, Dibrugarh and Lakhimpur.
Out of the 45, 12 filled nominations from Lakhimpur, the highest among the five, while the Kaliabor seat witnessed the least number of candidates at seven.
10 candidates filed nominations for the Tezpur constituency, while Dibrugarh and Jorhat had eight candidates each.
The prominent candidates for the first phase of polls include, Gaurav Gogoi (Congress) and Mani Madhab Mahanta (Asom Gana Parishad) for Kaliabor, former bureaucrat MGVK Bhanu (Congress) and state Minister Pallab Lochan Das (BJP) for Tezpur, state Power Minister Tapan Gogoi (BJP) and Sushanta Borgohain (Congress) for Jorhat, former MP Paban Singh Ghatowar (Congress) and sitting MP Rameswar Teli (BJP) for Dibrugarh, and Anil Buragohain (Congress) and sitting MP Pradan Boruah (BJP) for Lakhimpur.
The scrutiny of nominations will be done on Tuesday, while March 28 is the last date of withdrawal.
A total of 75,16,284 voters will cast their votes in the first phase of elections in the state on April 11.
- China says US diplomatic boycott violates Olympic spirit
- Sikkim government proposes creation of two more districts
- Mizoram to get bamboo link roads
- End of an era: Germany’s Merkel bows out after 16 years
- SKM blames ex-SDF legislators for Limboo-Tamang reservation failure
- 5 mistakes brands should avoid while finding influencers