Aizawl: Tension erupted in Aizawl on Thursday night when irate mob stormed Border Road Task Force (BRTF) camp at Falkland locality in Aizawl after a BRTF worker allegedly assaulted a local taxi driver and his friend.
The incident occurred around 6 pm when Bimal Kumar Bishra allegedly attacked taxi driver Vanlalrawna and his friend Lalsangpuia with a heavy stick in front of the BRTF camp, police said.
The accused hit Vanlalrawna on his neck and also assaulted his friends with a stick, perhaps iron bar, they said. Vanlalrawna, who sustained critical injuries and felt unconscious after being hit, and Lalsangpuia were rushed to the nearby Green Wood Hospital. Vanlalrawna was out of danger while Lalsangpuia was discharged after being administered first aid, the police said.
Soon after the alleged attack, irate mob assembled at the scene and stormed the BRTF camp. They torched a sentry post (check gate) and destroyed several properties including eight water barrels and walls, the police said.
On being informed about the incident, police rushed to the scene and dispersed the angry mob.
The accused was arrested following an FIR filed by Mizoram Taxi Association and was sent to the central jail at Tanhril on the outskirts of Aizawl the same night, they said.
A suo moto case was filed in connection with the incident following which the police have launched investigation. Policemen were deployed at the area to avoid untoward incident, a senior police officer said.
- Prince Charles warns of narrow window to face climate change
- PM Modi meets Indian COVID vaccine manufacturers; CEOs say his leadership key force in vaccination drive
- MNS chief Raj Thackeray, mother test positive for COVID-19
- China attempting to reduce India’s influence in Mynmar, SEA: CDS General Rawat
- Arunachal searching for unsung heroes of India’s freedom struggle
- Mizoram: 808 grams of Heroin seized, one arrested