Aizawl: The Mizoram Cabinet has approved the proposed liquor prohibition Bill to be tabled in the coming Budget session, an official release said on Saturday.
The cabinet meeting chaired by chief minister Zoramthang late on Friday approved the agenda for introduction of the Mizoram Liquor (Prohibition) Bill, 2019 after thorough discussion, the release said.
The prohibition Bill would be introduced in the state assembly during the budget session to be held from March 12 to 20. Imposition of total prohibition on sales of alcohol was the poll plank of the ruling Mizo National Front (MNF) before the state assembly elections held on November 28 last year.
Meanwhile, state excise and narcotics department issued a notification stating prohibition law will come into force in the state from April 1. The notification also instructed all bonded warehouse dealers, liquor vendors and owners of bar in hotels, clubs and lodges to phase out their sale (stock) on or before March 31.
For about 17 years, Mizoram had banned liquor with The Mizoram Liquor Total Prohibition Act, 1995 being enforced in the state from 1997 till January 2015. In 2014, the Congress government led by Lal Thanhawla legislated The Mizoram Liquor (Prohibition & Control) Bill and allowed opening of wine shop from March 2015.
The cabinet meeting on Friday also unanimously approved delimitation of the area of Sinlung Hills Council (SHC) and its constituencies, Mizoram Maintenance of Household Registers Bill 2019, The Chairman/Members, Lokayukta, Mizoram (Terms and Conditions of Service) Rules, 2019, Aizawl Municipal Council Building (Amendment) Regulations, 2019 and The Mizoram Real Estate (Regulation & Development) Rules, 2019.
- Should people who are forced to cross borders due to climate change be recognised as refugees?
- Megaherbivores could be a potential solution to manage invasive plants, finds study
- An expert explains the recipe for making the perfect romcom
- Mizoram records 534.42 crores loss over two years due to African Swine Fever
- Arunachal: Tawang Marathon draws massive participation from across India, UK
- Mizoram Chief Minister accuses ZPM of contradictory actions regarding Chakma votes