EastMojo
www.eastmojo.com
Residents participate in a candlelight vigil to pay tributes to the three youths who lost their lives in the recent anti-PRC stir in Itanagar in Arunachal Pradesh
NEWS

Arunachal PRC stir: Thousands participate in candlelight vigil

Residents pay tributes to three youths who lost their lives in the recent anti-Permanent Resident Certificate agitation in Itanagar

Itanagar: Thousands of people from all walks of life on Saturday evening participated in a candle-light vigil taken out in the capital to pay tributes to the three youths who lost their lives in the recent anti-Permanent Resident Certificate (PRC) agitation in Itanagar.

While 22-year-old Risso Tari was allegedly shot dead by the security forces on February 22, Biki Ruja (20) anda Tsering Wangdi (32) lost their lives during the protests that happened near chief minister Pema Khandu’s private bungalow on February 24.

Addressing the mammoth gathering after the rally at Indira Gandhi Park here, the families of the youths appealed the political parties of the State, especially the opposition parties to stop politicizing the PRC issue.

“The PRC issue has been put to rest permanently by the state government, but the opposition parties are still carrying out protest rallies and staging dharnas. This is hurting our sentiments,” Risso Kiagung brother of late Tari said.

The Congress, People’s Party of Arunachal, Janata Dal (Secular) and National People’s Party, had earlier in the day, taken out a protest rally demanding the stepping down of chief minister Khandu for his alleged failure to control law and order in the state during the PRC agitation.

Kiagung, however, also stated that no one from the government has approached the families of the victims till date to discuss the demands that were placed by them in front of the government a few days back.

The families have been demanding the state government to hand over the person(s) responsible for the death of the three youths to them so that they can punish them accordingly, or as per the customary laws.

They have also refused to accept the ex gratia of Rs 20 lakh and government job to one of the family members as announced by the State government.

“If we cannot take action against the culprit according to our customary laws, we at least have the right to know the person who killed our loved ones,” said Kiagung while informing that the families would announce the next stride of their movement against the authorities concerned with their ultimatum ending on Sunday.

Appreciating the people who turned up for the candle light vigil, Biki Talong, the elder brother of late Ruja said, the demand of the three families would remain the same till the time it is fulfilled.

Further demanding that justice be granted to them at the earliest, the families, at the same time appealed to the people to maintain peace and also stand together for issue which is against the interest of the state.

The rally culminated with the participants observing a minute of silence as a mark of respect for the departed’s souls.