EastMojo
www.eastmojo.com
Mizoram gold robbery case 2015
Mizoram gold robbery case 2015|EastMojo image
NEWS

Mizoram police to soon file chargesheet in 2015 gold robbery case

Special Investigation Team preparing chargesheet against suspended Assam Rifles commandant Col Jasjit Singh for sensational dacoity of 52 smuggled gold bars worth Rs 14.5 cr

Henry L Khojol

Aizawl: The Mizoram police will soon file chargesheet against the suspended commandant of the Aizawl-based 39th battalion of Assam Rifles Col Jasjit Singh, the prime accused in the sensational dacoity case of 52 smuggled gold bars worth Rs 14.5 crore, which occurred on the outskirts of Aizawl in December 2015, a senior police officer said on Monday.

The officer said that the Special Investigation Team (SIT) of Mizoram police constituted specially to probe into the robbery case is preparing chargesheet against Singh after President Ram Nath Kovind granted prosecution sanction in mid-January this year.

The prosecution sanction order was officially intimated by the Union ministry of defence to Aizawl Chief Judicial Magistrate, who later submitted it to the investigation team recently, the officer told EastMojo.

He added that the SIT will file chargesheet against the accused probably in March after performing formalities.

Singh, who is now attached to 457 Field Hospital after his suspension, was arrested on 5 May, 2016 along with 12 people, including 8 Assam Rifles jawans, for allegedly being the mastermind in the highway robbery in which Assam Rifles personnel had allegedly waylaid an SUV on the Aizawl-Lunglei highway that runs on the southern outskirts of Aizawl city on the night of December 14, 2015 and decamped with 52 gold bars worth Rs 14.5 crore, a mobile phone and Rs 75,000 in cash.

The incident came to light on April 21, 2016 when Lalnunfela, the driver of the vehicle which the personnel of Assam Rifles waylaid filed an FIR at the Kulikawn police station, alleging his vehicle was robbed by armed people from the 39 Assam Rifles at Zampuimanga Tlan on the southern outskirts of Aizawl city.

Soon after the FIR was lodged, an eight-member Special Investigation Team was constituted to probe the sensational dacoity case.

The SIT first arrested one Bulaki Chand Baid, an Aizawl based non-Mizo trader, and then arrested Lalmuanawma Mathipi, former general secretary of Mizo Zirlai Pawl (MZP), an influential students' organisation. Apart from them the SIT also arrested two other civilians in connection with the case.

The SIT had submitted its first investigation report to the concerned department on May 23, 2016.

During the course of investigation, the SIT discovered that Singh and his men also waylaid a consignment of gold bars near airfield on the north-eastern outskirt of Aizawl on the night of December 13, 2015.

The state government had earlier decided to hand over the case to CBI, but was rejected.

The 13 accused were released on bail in May and June, 2016.