New Delhi: Congress president Rahul Gandhi on Sunday blamed the ‘apathy and incompetence’ of the Assam Government for the hooch tragedy in the state which has claimed lives of over 140 people.
Gandhi took to Twitter and wrote, ”The apathy and incompetence of the Assam Government has resulted in the tragic deaths of over 140 people with scores of victims in hospital, poisoned by toxic alcohol. My condolences to the families of those who have died. I also pray that those in hospital make a speedy recovery.”
So far, as per some reports 165 deaths have been reported while around 150 people are undergoing treatment at various hospitals across Golaghat and Jorhat districts.
On Thursday night, a large number of labourers in two tea estates of Golaghat and Jorhat districts had fallen ill after consuming spurious liquor. As many as 12 of them died the same night. Assam chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal and health minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Saturday reviewed the condition of victims undergoing treatment at Jorhat Medical College and Hospital (JMCH).
The chief minister also announced a monetary compensation of Rs 2 lakh to the kin of the deceased and Rs 50,000 to those who fell ill. Also, an inquiry into the incident has also been initiated and the report has been sought within a month. So far, 22 persons have been detained in Golaghat for interrogation in the case.
- Raj Kundra walks out of Mumbai jail after bail in pornographic films case
- 453 held in Assam for illegal land broking activities
- Arunachal: Teacher shortage pushes local leader to issue recruitment ad
- Assam: Bandh affects normal life in Bodo majority area
- US Vice-Prez Kamala Harris to meet PM Narendra Modi on September 23
- Assam reports 455 new COVID cases, 10 more fatalities