Aizawl: The Mizoram power and electricity department has proposed a hike in power tariff by 8.09% under Kutir Jyoti programme, officials said on Sunday.
An official of state power and electricity department said that the proposal was made during a public hearing conducted jointly by Joint Electricity Regulatory Commission (JERC) for Mizoram and Manipur and state government recently.
He said the P&E department has proposed a hike in power tariff from the existing Rs 1.75 to Rs 2.50 per unit under Kutir Jyoti programme which will come into effect from April. As regard fixed charge for single point light connection, he said the department proposed to increase the rate from Rs 15 to Rs 30 per connection.
The JERC will fix new power tariff after evaluation of the proposals, he added.
Kutir Jyoti programme was launched by the Congress-led Central government during the late 1980s. The scheme envisaged extending single point light connections to households of rural BPL families.
- Meghalaya organisation writes to CM, urges action on fuel prices
- Russia’s daily Covid-19 death toll passes 1,000
- Man arrested for selling church property worth more than Rs 50 crore
- Watch: What made this Assam teacher bow down before students?
- Singhu border lynching: Victim’s family says he was ‘god-fearing’
- NE records 4- 5°C higher than usual, weather likely to improve in next 24 hrs