Credit: EastMojo Image

Kashmir: The Indian Army on Tuesday claimed that within 100 hours of the February 14 Pulwama attack, it eliminated the Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) leadership in the valley that planned and executed the deadly carnage that left 40 troopers dead.

This was stated by Lieutenant-General Kanwal Jeet Singh Dhillon, Commander, 15 Corps at a joint press briefing in Jammu and Kashmir, along with officials of state police and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).

Dhillon also gave a stern warning saying, “Anyone, who has picked up gun in Kashmir will be killed and eliminated unless he surrenders.”

He also urged the people of Kashmir to ensure their loved ones give up the gun and follow the surrender policy.

“I would also like to tell one thing to the parents of the Kasmhiri youths, especially the mothers, as I understand that in the society they have a key role. Through you, I request the mothers of Kashmir to request their sons to surrender and join the main stream,” the officer said.

The Lieutenant-General added that the attack was carried out with the support of Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) agency and the Pakistan Army. “Ever since the convoy attack on CPRF, we were tracking down top JeM leadership. It was being controlled from across by ISI, JeM commanders and the Pakistan Army,” Dhillon told reporters.

Three JeM terrorists, including two top commanders believed to be behind the Pulwama terror attack, were killed in Monday’s encounter that lasted more than 17hours. All three of the JeM leaders were wanted by the law enforcement agencies for their involvement in a series of terror crimes, including attacks on security establishments, and civilian atrocities.

All three of the Jaish-e-Mohammad leaders were wanted by the law enforcement agencies for their involvement in a series of terror crimes

Two of the slain terrorists were identified as Kamran and Abdul Rasheed alias Ghazi, the so-called ‘divisional commanders’ of Jaish-e-Mohammed for Pulwama, Tral and Awantipora areas of South Kashmir. The third one was Hilal, a resident of Pinglena in Pulwama.

An Army Major, four security forces personnel were martyred during the crossfire. Deputy Inspector General of Police (South Kashmir) Amit Kumar, a Brigadier, a Lt. Colonel, a Major and four other ranks of the Army unit which carried out the operation also suffered injuries. However, the Army made sure that no civilian gets killed during the encounter.

The Jammu and Kashmir Police had been on the lookout for Ghazi and Kamran after a suicide bomber belonging to the terror group drove his explosives-laden vehicle and detonated himself near a bus carrying CRPF jawans in Lethpora in Pulwama last week.

The Jaish claimed responsibility for the February 14 terror attack that targeted a convoy of 78 vehicles on its way from Jammu to Srinagar. About 2,500 CRPF personnel were on their way to the valley, many returning to work after leave.

Latest Stories

Leave a comment

Leave a comment