Guwahati: Just two days after the entire Northeast celebrated over the failure of the controversial Citizenship (Amendment) Bill to be tabled in Rajya Sabha, the Gauhati High Court granted absolute pre-arrest bail to prominent intellectual Hiren Gohain and peasant leader Akhil Gogoi.
The order came on Wednesday after sedition charges were slapped against the duo last month for alleged secessionist comments during a public rally organised to oppose the contentious Bill.
The HC order said, “It does not appear to this court that any such statement was made by the petitioner Nos 1 and 3, in their speeches, in the meeting involved in this case, requiring their custodial interrogation.”
“To avoid any impact of this order in the process of investigation of this case, this court refrains from commenting on the materials available in the case diary. However, on the basis of the materials in the case diary, the tentative view of this court is that the custodial interrogation of the petitioner Nos 1 and 3 is not necessary,” the order said.
The complaint against the duo and journalist Manjit Mahanta was registered in Guwahati’s Latasil police station on January 9 under Sections 120(B), 121, 123 and 124(A) of the IPC. However, Mahanta had obtained an absolute pre-arrest bail soon after the charges were slapped.
- Bengal Guv addresses to assembly, BJP MLAs stage walkout
- Half his plants died, but this Ukhrul farmer never gave up: Here’s why
- Sundance festival catapulting Indian documentaries to the Oscars
- PM Modi wears jacket made of recycled plastic bottles
- SC removes remark calling Sikkimese-Nepalis as ‘Persons Of Foreign Origin’ from judgment
- Meghalaya 2023: District Election machinery to probe Phulbari clash