Aizawl: As a part of fulfilling its pre-poll promises, the Mizoram Cabinet headed by chief minister and Mizo National Front (MNF) president Zoramthanga on Tuesday resolved to introduce new school timing to replace the existing one amid protest from some quarters.
According to the new timing, school hours will start at 9 am and end at 3 pm, an official told EastMojo. He said that the new school timing will replace the existing timing introduced by Lal Thanhawla-led Congress ministry in 2015, according to which school hours begin from 8 am to 2 pm.
The Cabinet, however, asked some private schools to approach state school education directorate in case they are unable to follow the new timing. Opinions were divided among student leaders, teachers and parents on the question of introducing new school timing.
Earlier, state’s apex student body Mizo Zirlai Pawl (MZP) had opposed the bid to introduce new timing and asked the state government to use the existing one to save daylight hours.
The students’ body claimed that the academic record of students has improved considerably and student could spare time for study and extra-curricular activities after implementation of the existing timing in 2015. It has also demanded separate time zone for Northeast to increase daylight saving and efficiency.
Many parents and leaders of Mizo Students’ Union (MSU), the second-largest students’ body in the state, on the other hand, are in favour of new timing citing the existing timing has greatly affected both students and daily routine of parents.
- HC refuses bail to Yes Bank founder Rana Kapoor’s wife, daughters in corruption case
- Watch: Assam faces drought, but state farmers receive no support
- Meghalaya netizens beware! Cops issue KBC Lottery fraud alert
- Navjot Sidhu resigns as Punjab Congress chief, triggers crisis in party
- How remote Dimapur airstrip gave wings to fledgling Bangladesh Air Force
- Govt dissolves OFB, transfers employees and assets to 7 PSUs