Guwahati: In a big shot in the arm for the Congress ahead of the Lok Sabha polls in Assam, former additional chief secretary to state government MGVK Bhanu joined the party on Monday.
Addressing a public gathering soon after joining the party, Bhanu termed Congress party president Rahul Gandhi as honest, sincere and a real leader of the country. “In my professional life, I have seen lots of political leaders very closely. I believe Rahul Gandhi is one of the best in the country,” he said.
Assam Pradesh Congress Committee (APCC) president Ripun Bora along with other party leaders welcomed Bhanu to the party in the Congress head office in Guwahati.
Bhanu, who was also posted in Tezpur during his working days as bureaucrat, is also likely to contest from Tezpur in Congress party ticket in Lok Sabha polls. Bhanu also has a house in Tezpur.
Meanwhile, commenting on Bhanu’s candidature from the Congress party for the forthcoming polls, sitting BJP MP from Tezpur RP Sharma said, “Bhanu was an outsider and that’s what will work against him.”
- Kerala landslide toll touches 18 as rescuers dig deeper
- Father’s responsibilities wouldn’t end at son attaining 18 years age: Delhi HC
- Weight loss & fad diets: Know the pros and cons before taking drastic steps
- Five natural homemade face packs for every skin type
- Plan to develop tourist circuit of places travelled by Srimanta Sankardev: Assam CM
- Assam reports 269 new COVID-19 cases