Guwahati: A total of 251 cases of sedition were filed against militant groups, individuals, RTI activists and journalists, among others, since the BJP-led government came to power in Assam, the state assembly was informed on Monday.
Sedition cases were filed against militant groups such as ULFA(I), NDFB(S), NDFB(B), KLO, NSLA, NSLA(AT), UPLFS, DHD, DHNA, NSCN(IM), ZUF and ATF, among others, Parliamentary affairs minister Chandra Mohan Patowary said in a written reply to a query by Leader of the Opposition Debabrata Saikia of the Congress.
Cases were also registered against individuals, Patowary said on behalf of CM Sarbananda Sonowal, who also holds the home portfolio.
Two sedition cases were slapped on Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti leader Akhil Gogoi in Dibrugarh district and Guwahati city, respectively.
Such cases were also registered last month against eminent intellectual Hiren Gohain and journalist Manjit Mahanta for their comments on Citizenship (Amendment) Bill.
- Rs 50,000 ex-gratia to kin of those who lost lives to COVID: Centre to SC
- Border issue: Khasi Hills council chief unhappy over exclusion
- Researchers have figured why COVID cases continue to rise in Mizoram
- RN Ravi formally relieved as interlocutor for Naga peace talks
- Manipur CM Biren Singh shows off football skills in friendly match
- Saree: Netizens wreak havoc on Delhi restaurant for denying woman entry