Guwahati: Assam welfare of minorities minister Ranjit Dutta admitted to a scam to have taken place in the distribution of pre-matric scholarships to students belonging to the minority communities, and the case is being probed by the CID. The revelation was made by the minister in a written reply to a query by AIUDF MLA Aminul Islam.
Dutta further informed the house that five persons have already been arrested for their involvement in the scam.
Dutta, however, did not share much details about the scam. He said “The investigation is being carried out taking into account all the districts of Assam. So far, two teachers in Morigaon and Barpeta, two staff of bank customer care centre and one middleman have been arrested.”
Last year, while addressing the assembly, Dutta had divulged, “Application & selection of deserving candidates for minority scholarship scheme was done through online to prevent any fraud. But, a code number to operate the online system was available with a section of headmasters. These headmasters used such code with some IT service providers and hacked the online system to do the fraud. The CID probe will dig out the details during its probe.”
The government had allocated Rs 414 crore for development and welfare of minorities in Assam from 2011-12 to 2018-19.
- Mizoram: 40,000 kg Areca nuts worth Rs 1.56 crore recovered
- BJP workers attacking Raijor Dal workers: Akhil Gogoi
- Vincent Pala’s statement on jhum cultivation not based on facts: NESFAS
- Denmark Open: PV Sindhu loses in quarters
- Bar Himanta from by-poll campaign: Cong leader writes to poll panel
- Vaccination drive a success because of you all: Arunachal CM to healthcare workers