Imphal: The CBI on on Friday filed chargesheet against 10 more policemen in an alleged fake encounter case of 2009.
The chargesheet was submitted by a special investigation team (SIT) of the CBI in the Chief Judicial Magistrate court in Imphal West.
This is the eighth chargesheet filed by the SIT after it was constituted by the CBI in compliance to a Supreme Court order issued in 2017 to probe as many as 1,528 cases of alleged extrajudicial executions in Manipur.
The SC issued the order in response to a petition filed by Extra-Judicial Execution Victims Family Association Manipur (EEVFAM) and Human Rights Alert.
On September 8, 2009, six persons were killed during an alleged encounter conducted jointly by the Manipur Police Commandos and the Army at Awang Khunou in Imphal West district.
The CBI in the chargesheet mentioned that several inconsistencies were found in the accounts given by the security personnel during the course of the probe conducted by the CBI and the police. The police commandos reportedly fired 119 bullets and the troops of 12-MLI fired 98 bullets. However, only 12 fired bullet cartridges were recovered from the encounter site. The agency pointed out that well-trained security personnel fired a large number of bullets in retaliation to only three bullets reportedly fired by the deceased.
The six deceased were identified as Kshetrimayum Govind Singh, Ngasepam Danny Singh, Md Tomba, Ahongbam Oken Singh, Md Mujibur Rehman and Md Ajgar Ali.
- 5 names recommended by Collegium to be cleared soon: Centre to SC
- Quad agrees to leverage machine learning to enhance cyber security
- Chinese spy balloon spotted over US airspace
- Meghalaya 2023: Busiest day in Garo Hills on day 4 of nominations
- No proposal to use remote voting machine in “upcoming election” in country: Rijiju in LS
- Tripura 2023: LF-Cong alliance has no mission or vision, says Bengal LoP