Guwahati: Former Assam chief minister and veteran Congress leader Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday launched a scathing attack against the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) accusing the party of diving the society. He said that the offices of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) must be locked if the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill gets passed.
Speaking to media persons in Guwahati, Gogoi said, “Assam is being divided in the name of religion. This Bill will destroy Assam economically, and politically.” Targeting BJP for pushing a ‘communal bill’, the former CM said ,”Our country is still a secular one.”
Gogoi reacted against the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2019, which aims to provide citizenship to non-Muslim minorities from Pakistan. The Bill was passed in the Lok Sabha on Tuesday despite massive protest in the entire Northeast.
Gogoi furthermore said that the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill will end the NRC, and added: “Assam Accord was not signed on religious lines.”
The veteran leader also said that the BJP has become a party for Bangladeshis.
Speaking about the committee formed to implement Clause 6 of the Assam Accord, Gogoi said that there is no need of any committee to implement the long standing demand. “For providing the SC status, Constitutional amendment is required,” said Gogoi, terming the BJP’s move as misleading.
Gogoi reiterated the Congress’ stand that the grand old party will stall the bill in Rajya Sabha.
- IIT-Guwahati working on generating hydrogen from water using sunlight
- Incredible to have Bollywood, dance sequence in Marvel movie: Filmmaker Chloe Zhao
- Two NE women, auto driver injured resisting snatching bid in Delhi
- No shortage of power in country, says power minister R K Singh
- Past and present India cricketers back Shami after pacer faces online abuse
- Assam lockdown? CM Himanta allays fear, says Covid cases under control