Agartala: About 2,040 kg of dry cannabis, worth about Rs 1.2 crore in the domestic market, was recovered from the office premises of Cosmopolitan Club under Melaghar police station area in Sepahijala district of Tripura on Thursday.
As per a BSF official, the contraband was in found in a compressed form in bundles of 10 kg each.
Acting on a tip-off, BSF personnel, along with the sub-divisional police officer (SDPO) and the sub-divisional magistrate (SDM), reached the club premises and started a search operation at the spot. It was then that they found the dry cannabis in bundles of 10 kg each.
Meanwhile, the police have registered a case against the club president Ratan Datta and the secretary Ruhi Das under the NDPS Act. A detailed investigation is underway to find out the exact source of the contraband and how such a large amount of dry cannabis reached the club premises.
Sepahijala has beome a hub of contraband smuggling. In the past nine months alone, close to Rs 10 crore worth of banned drugs were seized from the district.
- Minor earthquake jolts Arunchal Pradesh
- Charanjit Singh Channi to be next CM of Punjab
- Biden pitching partnership after tough stretch with allies
- Young Indians are highly vulnerable to cardiac ailments: Here’s why
- Witnesses say explosion targets Taliban, 2nd in as many days
- Assam: This social entrepreneur duo is building communities with tea and art