Agartala: In a suspected case of witch-hunt, a 78-year-old man was killed by a mob at the Mahadev Tilla area of Teliamura in Khowai district on Saturday.
The victim, identified as Laxmanjoy Reang, was tortured at a village court for ‘practising witchcraft’. The village gathering allegedly found Laxmanjoy guilty of ‘witchcraft and black magic’. Laxmanjoy was a tea-seller by profession.
Talking to EastMojo, Surasen Tripura, officer In-charge of Mungiakami police station, said that the deceased was called by the village court on December 26, after which the people present at the meeting started beating him.
He was admitted to the Kulai hospital on December 27 but succumbed to his injuries on Saturday.
The police had registered an FIR and arrested four persons in the lynching case. The arrested persons have been identified as Indrakumar Molsom, Brajagopal Reang, Himanshu Reang and Saumendra Reang.
Earlier in July, three persons were lynched in Tripura over child-lifting rumours.
- Book explores historical and spiritual landscape of communities in Northeast
- Watch: Can Bar Tshangay Falls become Sikkim’s next tourism destination?
- Naga peace talks set to resume as interlocutor, Assam CM step in
- Mizoram: Chakma villages threaten strike over disbursal of grant money
- Arunachal Pradesh gets four more oxygen plants
- Utd Democratic Alliance: Opposition-less govt a reality in Nagaland